Still high on adrenaline from our ‘adventure sail‘ yesterday, that took us from Baltimore….to the middle of the Chesapeake Bay….and then blown back to Baltimore – it seemed like today would be a good day to get in my long run.
I’ve been sharing Ms. Emma’s training schedule – and it said 20 miles is the long run for this week. So here is how it went down.
1. Fired up my Garmin GPS watch – and realized the battery is dead.
2. Retrieved backup #2 Garmin GPS watch – and the battery appeared fine.
3. Told my biker team (i.e. hubby Paddy) to get ready for a 10 miler ride – the last 10 miles.
4. I departed for the first 10 miles. Garmin working fine. Beeped at mile 4….beeped at mile 5….died at mile 5.5
5. Stopped to have a chat with my Garmin. It didn’t help. Called Paddy to have him re-charge my original Garmin – and I would retrieve this when we did our mile 10 rendezvous.
6. Remembered that my phone had an Endomondo App – so I turned it on to record my remaining distance.
7. Got startled each and every time I added another mile – with Ms. Endomondo telling me all sorts of stats and numbers. I didn’t really need all this info – but didn’t want to stop to figure out the settings.
8. Met with Paddy support crew on bicycle at mile 11.5 – inhaled some power goop. Got a boost of energy. We’re off for a new route now.
9. Ran a long downhill and felt some pain in my left hip (hip flexors are tight). Wasn’t bad enough to stop – but it did get my attention. Focused on my gait to make sure this doesn’t get worse.
10. We navigated a few miles along a shady trail, next to a bubbling creek. Aaaah – life is good!
11. Eventually there is a long uphill to compensate for that downhill – at mile 16. Still moving strong and take a mini-break to gulp down water and more power goop.
12. 2 miles left to go – and facing a strong headwind.
13. Miscalculated the distance based on the new route – and completed an additional 9.6 miles — for a total of 21.1
14. Ice on my hip and knee, and spending the afternoon consuming food and re-hydrating.
Post workout consumption looks like this!